Skip to main content

Catching up on my life.

"Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it." -Helen Keller

This quote is posted on the powerpoint slide in the OB seminar that I am currently in. I think that I could have learned a lot from the presentations that we're receiving (acupuncture, stress relief, community support, aromatherapy), but I find that with my internet access that my friend, Lee, is providing, I'm much more productive by not paying attention. Learning new things versus catching up on my life? Catch up always wins, doesn't it?

Life has been full, but good, of late. I find that I'm tired the majority of the time, although I hate being the "I'm tired" type. I have started a new SNE position, which is a glorified tech position in the hospital. I'm also still campaigning, although more behind the scenes than actually harassing people right now, and nursing school takes up a good chunk of my life. Friends and the new Art Boy have filled up the rest. Yowza.

SNEing is probably the most exciting and the most humor-filled part of my life right now. Well, maybe not, but it does take the most energy. I have dealt with poop that has a 3 inch diameter from a 95 year old, petite woman. She was very proper, but still exclaimed, "Oh my God! I gave birth!" and later insisted that we name it. (We named it Margaret. We later flushed Margaret away.) I have changed sheets multiple (multiple multiple) times, missed an IV, had a few successful blood draws, caused a patient to cry when I went home, and have eaten a bizmillion saltine crackers (best hospital snack EVER). The most entertaining moment was last weekend though when I had a patient who had unexplained encephalopathy (swelling of the brain). In trying to diagnose his problem, I was in charge of getting the clean catch mid-stream urine for the urinalysis. He was a little confused, so after I found him peeing on himself while standing up, and I quickly went to him, trying to hold his penis, urinal, and sterile urine cup while crouching beside him, he fell backwards on the curtain, onto his roommate's bed that was holding his roommate and his wife. Urine was everywhere, on me, on him, on them. They even had to take the curtain down and clean it because the urine smell simply permeated the room. It was at 7:45 am on a Saturday morning. Quite the start to a day.

It has been reassuring to note that I'm loving it. Despite the literally shitty days, I'm more secure than ever that this nursing thing is a good fit...

Comments

Talia said…
ahhhhh . . . saltines. i am learning to understand that obsession. *sigh*

i'm looking forward to horror flick night!

thanks for updating us on your life - i was missing your blog updates!
Malealyn said…
oh you make me laugh! 3"?!?!?! yeah I'm telling people about that one.