Skip to main content

Updates


I have not posted in a bit because I have felt like I don't have anything to say. This is somewhat ludicrous, since I've been gone nearly every weekend this summer. (Yet the heat is still too oppressive for me... Good god... it's terrible.)

So, here is my vacation recap:

I went to Laguna Beach in June to visit my friend, Jana. We used to work together and she moved there last January. It was an unbelievably delightful weekend with some camping and beaching and great food and happy hours. It was a beautiful visit. Highlight: Spending the afternoon on the beach with Jana, reading, walking, and getting slapped in the face by some pretty impressive waves.




Two weeks later, I flew to Dallas for a quick weekend visit. I saw my friend, Kirsten, whom I lived with in Telluride. We reminisced and played in the backyard pool and ate our way through the weekend. She is one of those friends that I can go ages without talking to, but man, if it isn't easy to pick right back up where we left off. We also read 4 "Tintin" books in preparation for the movie this December, which we plan on seeing together... Geography be damned. (Pictures are all with my boyfriend (re: iphone).). Highlight: Toodling around the pool, reading "Tintin" and only paddling to the side for a sip of the gin and tonic.

I took the GRE and then hopped on a plane to crash my parents' vacation in Hawaii with their friends, Nick and Barbara. While I initially had qualms about going on this vacation with my parents, I was put at ease by the amount of fun we had snorkeling, hiking, playing in the waves, visiting museums, seeing some cold lava and the glow of hot lava and eating delicious seafood. Mom and I also caught "Harry Potter" together to complete the series in style. Highlight: Ripping apart butter and garlic soaked shrimp from a shrimp truck and devouring it while the juice dribbled down my chin.




August arrived and the vacations became slightly less glamourous, but no less fun. My coworker, Julia, and I went to visit a former patient who lives in Show Low, a town about 3.5 hours northeast of Phoenix where the weather is about 40 degrees cooler. Ahhhh.... We kayaked, did some hiking, had a girls' afternoon and ate delicious, homegrown food. Fantastic and homey and fun. Highlight: Drinking wine and watching a thunderstorm from the safety of the porch while waiting for dinner.




Tomorrow I am headed up to Flagstaff where I'm going to camp and hike with friends for weekend getaway #2 in August. And in between all of these vacations, I have worked so that I can afford to keep on going. I think that I have officially decided that this is my year of vacation and I plan to seize it.

Ideas for September's vacation?

Comments

Kristi said…
Ideas for a September vacation? Well, there is an awesome festival the last weekend...

Loved the comprehensive account! Love your blog!
Rissa Watkins said…
Love the pics and the wrap up.

Nice to live vicariously through you.
torker said…
I've heard this place is nice.