Skip to main content

My Proustian Moment

It's no fancy French cookie that brings me rushing back to summers of my childhood...  it is the BLT.

I am home in Indiana for a very brief stay, under sadder circumstances than I would like, but I grasped one moment of joy today when I made myself lunch.

I fried up three pieces of bacon until there were crispy bubbles of white amidst lines and textures of brown.  I washed and dried 3 pieces of lettuce and laid them out on my multigrain bread.  And then I sliced a homegrown tomato...  blood red, with juice just pouring out of it.  I finished the remainder of the tomato like an apple before applying a tiny layer of Miracle Whip and closing my sandwich.

As I bit into the first bite, tomato juice dripping down my chin and hands, I reminisced on the multitudes of BLTs that I have consumed at home.  We awaited with great anticipation the first ripe tomatoes and it would be one of the few times of year that Mom would buy bacon.  I remember my very exact layering of the sandwich and how once it was put together and a bite was taken, there was no putting the sandwich down: the integrity of the overflowing bread was far too precarious.  I remember how milk was often paired with BLTs when we ate outside on the picnic table and I would drink it as fast as I could before it started tasting like "outside milk."  I would inevitably have another half-sandwich and then, because my parents and brother were kind, I got the last piece of bacon...  trying to savor it for as long as I could. 

I like a BLT in a restaurant...  but only if it's dressed up with something fancy like avocado or garlic aioli or some other non-native ingredient.  Because, unless your tomato comes freshly picked in the garden, you shouldn't even try a simple BLT.  There is just nothing like a homemade BLT in Indiana summers.

Bacon, lettuce, tomato...  what an amazing combination.

Comments

Unknown said…
I think you could leave out the tomato!!!
torker said…
Except for a nice MLT: a mutton, lettuce and tomato sandwich, where the mutton is nice and lean and the tomato is ripe. They're so perky, I love that.