Skip to main content

Great Avail


I'm moving up in the bicycling world...  After our tax refunds came back, Randal and I thought that a great way to spend part of it would be on a road bike.  I'd been looking for one for awhile and after a few test rides, settled on the same bike that my friend, Berta, has, which is a Giant Avail.  She arrived last week and she's just beautiful. 

I quickly scooted around town with and she even got hit on at our local market:
     Guy: "That's a nice bike."
     Me: "Thanks!"
     Guy: "How much does she weigh?"
     Me: "Um...  Is that appropriate to ask a lady bike?"
     Randal: "Around 15 pounds, I think."

My favorite biking buddy.

22 mile ride with the ladies.

3 Avails!

Day 1: I biked with Randal on our local OC&E trail and then to dinner with his dad.  Day 2: Some ladies and I biked to the golf course and had cocktails on the patio.  Day 3: We headed out of town and did a lovely long ride, enjoying the sunshine and each other.  She's a beautiful and speedy bicycle and I'm so glad that I got her!

In other news, Stephanie and I continue to work on community health.  Our building is not yet secured, so we still do not have a start date.  We have a lot of great projects going on though and I appreciate our flexible schedule.

Heather, a good friend from Baltimore, is here for a month while doing a medical student rotation at the hospital.  So, she is living upstairs and is a great, albeit slightly absent, houseguest.  More friends from Baltimore arrive this weekend and we will have a full and fun house.  I can't wait.

The chickens are growing up.  We tried to incorporate the little ones into the coop this week, but it was a disaster.  One was wounded and our rooster ran away for over 24 hours.  Thankfully, he found his way home safely and now I feel inordinately attached.  (And have secretly named him "Roger" in my head, which is never a good idea...)  So, Randal and I are contemplating discussing the presence of a rooster with our neighbors to see if they're amenable to a new, sonorous alarm clock.

And spring is really busting out all over the Klamath Basin.  I noticed that my lettuce and chard had popped up this morning.  My snap peas are 2-3 inches tall and our tomatoes and peppers are ready to be transplanted as soon as the risk for a freeze is over.  (Which is at the end of May in this high desert town.)  Urban homesteading has never been so fun.

Cherry blossoms on my birthday tree.

Comments