Skip to main content

Buckin' up. Bucklin' down.

It's my 4th to last shift here at IU hospital at the AOC desk and I'm certainly not mourning that fact. It's true, I'll miss the ease of my "Daily Show" updates and the hours of study time that this job provides me with, but I think that I will enjoy a weekend again much more. Having just returned from two wonderful weekends away in which I did not come into work, I was reminded again of the joys of not having to come to work on Friday at midnight.

Taos was wonderful. My family is incredible and it was such a pleasure to see everyone familiar and meet many new family members as well. We rented out the San Geronimo Lodge in Taos and all 47 of us took over, leaving doors unlocked and being able to eat any snack left out in the dining room. We visited the Pueblo, which is over 1000 years old, and ate Indian fry bread. We ate well and hiked. We laughed a lot and Mom put together a phenomenal slide show. It was great.

And then I flew home. That was not as great.


But, the next weekend I headed up to Windy City and stayed with my friend, Jon. He's really the best ever and we had a wonderful time. Another friend from college came down and it was a great time reminiscing about Kenyon and Kenyon folk and staying up too late on a Friday, but spending that time in a bar instead of at a desk under fluorescent lights. Good friends from college got married and I caught up with Lords and Ladies and ate my way across the city. Obviously, a very productive trip.


And now it's nose the grindstone again. For two weeks anyway. I'm a little tired of psych, although I have been more impressed with my patients lately. No doubt about it. These people are crazy.


...

So, my New Yorker arrived this week and obviously I felt very conflicted. My great loves in a fight? Obama versus the New Yorker? Who would win that one... New Yorker has more age, experience and clout. Obama has hope and the ability to change. Obama can redact... I can't imagine that with the New Yorker. I don't know if that's a negative or a positive for either.


But, come on, everyone. It's satire. Can't we joke about it? Isn't making a big deal about really driving the point of the satire home? Don't we deserve to be laughed at? Certainly not the media though and they've had a field day with it. I still think that most of them would give an arm to write for The New Yorker though. So, it stems from humorless jealousy. Andrew Romano can word it better than me: http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/stumper/archive/2008/07/15/the-new-yorker-cover-controversy-a-case-of-misplaced-umbrage.aspx.

...

I'm making my first batch of pesto today. It'll be a good day.

Comments