Skip to main content

Pride and Prejudice

Let's discuss the merits of film.

First of all, I know that the book on which a movie is based is always best. Blah, blah, blah... Except for "The Devil Wears Prada," that mantra has held true since film was invented.

But, you might find this rather shocking, I think that the "Pride and Prejudice" film that is less true to the novel is better than the one that does. I know that I can compare the two because for the last two nights I have watched them. On Sunday, my parents and I watched the entire BBC version of "Pride and Prejudice" (or P&P as my cousin calls it). Then on Monday, for comparison's sake, my mom and I watched the 2005 Focus Features version of "Pride and Prejudice" (my dad's manhood just couldn't swing another night).

I appreciate the BBC for its attention to detail, loyalty to the book, and the casting of the two main characters as well as Mr. Bennett.
But, point #1 addressing the recent film's superiority: 2005 Focus Features version has delivered on the looks of Jane (its hard to pay attention to all of the compliments regarding Jane's beauty in the BBC version when she's really just not that pretty) and on the intensity of the love story.
Point #2: Mr. Darcy actually looks happy when he and Elizabeth finally declare their love, while Colin Firth still looks simply miserable.
Point #3: Five hours straight of the BBC's Mrs. Bennett and you want to stab her with a fork and Jane's simpering does get a little tiresome.
Point #4: My main reason for appreciation, however, is that in the 2005 Focus Features version, Hollywood again manages to wrap me up in the romance and give me that warm feeling inside in a way that BBC has never been able to do.

I told Mom that we could watch the 1940 version next, but I think that we all might need a little break. Happy Labor Day to us!

Comments

Laura said…
Despite the fact that I have not seen the 2005 Focus Features version, I have to heartily disagree with whatever you say good about it. This is almost entirely based on two things:

1. Keira Knightly. I think she's horrible. You think the BBC Jane is "simpering" by the end? I think Keira simpers her way through all of her roles. Ugh.
2. A two hour film is not long enough to work out the intricacies of the novel.

Have you read the book lately? Because I do believe both Colin Firth and the woman who play Miss Bennet portray their characters exactly how they exist in the book. Even in the book, you want to kill Mrs. Bennet, and Mr. Darcy is stuffy, even when he's in love.

And that's my rant about my favorite book/movie interpretation of said book.
Malealyn said…
And I'm going to have to second Laura's take on this. Keira Knightly? Seriously! [She is one of the more annoying actresses out there right now- well Bend it Like Beckham would be the exception to this] She leaves her house in a nightgown!!! and Mr. Darcy doesn't have much more on, oh please. Austen turned over in her grave at that moment.

I will fully agree that the Jane's are better cast in the Focus Features film, as well as the role of Mary. But that is where it ends. I have the backing of the boy on this one. He would be pissed at me for telling how many times he's requested to watch the BBC version.

I actually like both interpretations of the mother. But without a doubt the BBC NAILED Mr. Collins. Holy moly is all I have to say to that. ugh. I still shiver he is just the epitome of gross.

The BBC nailed this one. And that is how it goes.