Skip to main content

How to put up an urban Christmas tree.

I thought that I was a connoisseur of Christmas trees after years of diligently urging my parents and brother outside to chop down a tree while we sang, "O' Christmas Tree" and my dad recited "A Tree" by Joyce Kilmer. We would then drag it back to the house, my dad would fill a bucket with sand or gravel and Charles and I would hold the tree straight while he shoveled the filler in to hold it there. Afterwards, we would decorate it with cocktails and Christmas carols and Dad would subsequently take care of the watering.

This was my first urban Christmas tree this year (last year I didn't have one), so I went with all good city and suburb folk to the nearest Home Depot and picked out my tree. People had had their trees trimmed so there were fir branches lying around, which I picked up and threw in my trunk in lieu of going out the white pine in the backyard to cut some greenery for the house (as I do at home). I was ambitious for my first tree and got an eight full tall Nordic fir, which I proceeded to set up all by myself.

This is a source of Christmas pride for me. So much so that I have taken to sleeping on the couch to be closer to my Christmas tree. And Odie is relegated to the bedroom while I'm at work because if he declared war on the tree, I would be devastated. As it stands now, he is happily ambivalent.

Below is my step by step to a beautiful Christmas tree in a city:





Comments

Malealyn said…
It is so pretty!!!! Oh how I wish I could see it! I imagine it smells devine - even if you don't have the requisite cold weather to match!
Malealyn said…
yes - I misspelled divine. oops. In my eagerness to comment I missed it until it was just too late.
torker said…
"we would decorate it with cocktails" -- which cocktail decorations would you use? You should make a cocktail advent calendar too.