Skip to main content

Overestimation

We went to Bend this weekend for Bend Brewfest. Last year it was rather a raucous affair and we wanted one last weekend with our friends before hunkering down to work in the final weeks of pregnancy. 

The morning of Brewfest, we played in the Deschutes River. Randal and I canoed and the rest of the crowd floated. It was great. Maizie swam and swam and Juneau tolerated it. They both looked quite dashing in their life jackets. 




Evidently, energy wanes during the 9th month of pregnancy though and Randal and I opted to be designated drivers and sit out of the festivities. When the crowd came home, quite happy and full of joy and karaoke, it wasn't quite as charming as I had remembered. 

The next morning, as Randal and I went to breakfast with the middle-aged, pre-hangover crowd, we mourned the upcoming change and potential loss of pre-kid selves. Of course, we also had a five minute wait for Sunday brunch, so there are perks to waking up at 6am on a weekend. 

And so it goes. My wish for us: still have a late Sunday brunch after a silly night once in awhile. And avoid hangovers as much as possible. 

Comments

Unknown said…
I believe you have many late Sunday brunches in your future! You two are going to be fantastic parents and your home will be full of laughter and fun.
Unknown said…
I love that you went canoeing! And transported your friends safely! Bend is a wonderful place. And you and Randall are incredible for so many reasons. I love the honesty of your post. It sounds like the trip offered some challenging insights into the parenthood transition. It sucks that you have low energy and can't drink and that you're already starting to "miss out" on some fun. I hear you. A lot of parents I've worked with are like "this isn't the fantasy that we have been told in society". You're allowed to be frustrated and to feel like you're having to make some sacrifices. Share this, vent about this, problem solve with other pregnant/parenting people, teach your loved ones so that we can be more empathic to your changing roles and responsibilities and feelings, and know that you are not alone - ever - even though sometimes it might feel like it. I love you and you're in my thoughts a lot.