Skip to main content

Easter 2020

In Easters of yore, Easter morning is jam-packed.  The Easter bunny comes and we hunt for eggs and then we scramble around trying to get ready for 40-50 people who are coming for a pitch-in and a big Easter Egg Hunt.  There have been years where there have only been about 20 people, but this year, there were just six.

And we didn't scramble around as much.  There was no furniture shifting.  We didn't have to mop up muddy footprints.  And, for better or for worse, the house was a whole lot quieter.

The Easter Bunny did come, bringing baskets for everyone!  Milo was thrilled with his new lego airplane and Marian has been sporting her Easter boots since she got them.




We still had a pitch-in.  Everyone had to bring a dish or two to share and because of that, we had a delicious Easter meal.  We knew what everyone else was sharing as well, which was new.  (There was no lemonade.  There were no tahini noodles.  It was not the same.). But, we still had it buffet style and we all got to sit at the table, which was also new!


We often take a picture of all of the hunters headed to the Egg Hunt so that you can get an idea of the crowds on Easter.  Here is that picture this year.


As you know, I was excited to win the hunt this year.  Dad always hides the eggs, so I felt like I was going to be the clear winner: Mom has bad knees, Randal isn't competitive, Milo is 4.  But, Dad requested that Mom hide the eggs so that he could hunt.  The trash-talking commenced and the tension was high.

It was a tense starting line:


We ran around around the roped off territory.  Dad and I dived for the same egg at one point, but after a scuffle on the ground, I was triumphant.  Mom hid 27 eggs.  We hunted for a long time and found 26.  I had 11.  Dad's number kept changing because he said he was lying, but ended up with 1.  Randal wouldn't tell, but ended up with 14 eggs.

Randal was the winner!  I was proud to be his trophy wife and proud that the Jochims had overcome his gentleness and he became a competitive monster.  Milo had said that the trophy was a bite of his chocolate bunny, so here is Randal, enjoying his winnings.



While sad to lose, I was proud to be married to the winner.*


It was time for the next egg hunt between Mom, Milo and Marian with another intense start.


For the first time in his life, Milo showed a little competitive edge.  For the first time in his life, he didn't just sit down and eat candy after he found one egg.  (Of course, for the first time in his life, there was no candy at the hunt, so that could have had something to do with it too.)






And Milo won the egg hunt!  He got to eat his own chocolate bunny and was very pleased.


There were no photos taken of the egg toss, but it was a tight contest between Mom and Dad and Randal and me.  While Randal and I didn't miss a catch, our egg was weaker and broke first.

I was sad that I hadn't won any of the competitions.  Marian was happy to be outside.


*But, the truth came out when we went back in the house and Randal said, "I can't keep a secret."  The egg hunt had been rigged.  Dad had slipped Randal all of his eggs to try and defeat me.  I had thought that, in this time of national chaos, outrage, sadness, and dispute, our Easter Egg Hunt would be safe from corruption.  I was wrong.

So, while there is not photographic evidence that I won the egg hunt, I WON THE EGG HUNT!!!


Happy Easter to one and all.  We missed you!

Comments

Finklestien said…
Did anyone else notice the whining in Katherine's post. "While we didn't miss a catch our egg was weaker." Poor little child. I saw more than once where she failed to catch the egg and it rolled on the ground.
As for the eggs, I may have given Randal a couple of eggs, not enough to effect the outcome. You should have seen the dismay in her demeanor upon finding she could not beat her husband so Randal being a good soul chose to fib and tell her she won.
I'm just trying to set the record straight.