Skip to main content

Hope of a new era.

The headline of "Le Monde" reads: 'L'espoir d'une nouvelle ère dans les relations internationales.' The New York Times reads "The election unleashes hope worldwide." BBC: "World leaders hail triumph." And the Indianapolis Star: "Obama makes history." No matter where you are in the world today, this news is prevalent and the sentiments are the same. It's historical and inspirational and change is coming.

Yes we could.

It's been a surreal day today and I hadn't let myself fully realize how wonderful this is this morning. Only after a two hour nap and having a little time to read today's papers am I letting this sink in. Savoring. Basking.

Yes we did.

Last night, the past few days, the past few months, the past two years have been exhausting, draining and amazing. I started working with the campaign in February and dedicated much of my time to voter registration and encouraging my classmates to vote and trying to get Barack Obama elected without forcing my opinions on others (on the latter, I'm not sure that I always succeeded). I met some wonderful people and I couldn't help but think last night of how hard we have worked together for months. The last few days, knocking on doors, delivering signs, making phone calls, trying to be hopeful, but not overconfident, were intense and exhausting and felt futile at times. But, they weren't. I canvassed in African-American neighborhoods where, because I was supporting Obama, people would cheer at me when I walked by. I helped figure out how to get the elderly to the polls. I helped navigate the rough sea that is Indiana voter identification cards. I coped with the diversity of Obama supporters who all wanted to help so much so that we were inundated with them.

I breathed a sigh of relief at 6pm. And then again at 7pm when I finally peeled myself away from the campaign madness.

The rest of the night, my nation experienced alongside me. Although most people I know wanted the same victory that I did, it wasn't everyone. And I know how they feel too, those McCain supporters, having felt defeat in 2000 and again in 2004. But I know that everyone, both red and blue, was glued to a news source. Watching first Vermont go blue, then Kentucky go red, then the rest of the states following behind (except Indiana, of course...) until at 11pm, with the giant push of the West Coast, Barack Obama was declared the president elect of the United States.

Looking around the room where I was, I saw my sister-in-law, who watched the election returns with me in 2004 in Italy and commiserated with me and handed me Kleenex when I couldn't stop crying. I saw my best friend who had voted for Bush, but now spent two days with me walking the streets in Indianapolis for Obama. Her husband, a Bulgarian who couldn't vote, but had more passion for Obama than most Americans I know. My grandpa who has been waiting his life for a moment like this. My brother who will soon raise a child in this new world. My mom who told me that he had to win, he just had to! And my dad who has put in so many hours in Greene County, pushing for Obama, which some would say was a pointless effort, but who swayed many votes. It was a wonderful moment for all of us.

Watching celebrations, including our own, kept a permanent grin plastered on my face. John McCain was gracious, and as the newscasters said, he was back to the old McCain. And Obama's speech... It was eloquent and true and beautiful. And if you didn't stay up to watch it, I hope that you do soon. It will restore your faith in the greatness of the United States.

And the day after, the world already seems to be a better place. Already foreign relations are eased and the world has a restored faith in Americans. And even though Obama is picking his staff already, the news has paused for a moment and most headlines are still celebrating the victory.

Yes we can.

Lastly, I have talked to a great many voters in the past year, encouraging them to vote regardless of their beliefs. I have had many people tell me that it doesn't matter, that their vote doesn't count, that Washington will pick the next president. I even believed myself at times that our electoral process was becoming corrupt. However, seeing urban areas mobilized, Hispanics, African-Americans, rich and poor, and my cohort, the youth, get out and vote and buck the system restores my faith in my nation. Our votes did make a difference. Spending my lunch hour registering voters in March did make a difference. Encouraging my fellow nursing students to vote in every class did make a difference. Believing in a candidate did make a difference. My vote did make a difference.

And with a smile on face, I start the first day of a new era with President Elect, Barack Obama.

Comments