Skip to main content

Sometimes nursing is full of poo.

Today is not my best day in the hospital. I am "sitting" today, which is always a drag, but today is quite the day. I'm with two patients.

Window is in restraints. I took him out of them this morning to get him cleaned up, but around 11am, he started getting restless, complaining of pain, saying that he didn't want anything for pain. Then when I look up, he's trying to pull his Foley catheter out (which is very bad, since he just had bladder surgery). He's now very angry with me and anytime I go near him, he gives me a mad mad mad look.

Door is not in restraints but does have to go to the bathroom every hour. Really. This is every hour with diarrhea. And it's a two person job to get him out of bed. And he gets angry if it takes someone longer than five minutes to get to the room to help. Diarrhea. Every hour. 2 person assist.
...The worst part about this is that if he would start eating real food, they would take him off of the tube feedings and the diarrhea would stop. Will he start eating real food? Nooooo.

I also love it when he's waiting to go back to bed and there's a physician in the room who I ask to help me get him back in. She gave me a look like I'd asked her to wipe my own ass and actually laughed at me. This is why physican-nurse relationships are not good.

Awesome. 8 more hours. 8 more emptyings of emesis basins full of diarrhea.

Comments

macesmit said…
I think that was the most descriptive and disgusting blog post I have ever read. Keep them coming :) Love ya. I will see you SOON!! YEAH
Talia said…
disgusting. really. ;-)
Malealyn said…
I can relate as to how busy you are at the moment, but for the love of all of us that check this blog daily. REALLY? This is such a depressing post. Just put up a joke or something. I know you have loads of those. In fact I'm cracking up right now because of it!