Skip to main content

"Let us sharpen our instincts for empathy."

I just watched Obama's speech about the shootings in Arizona last weekend.

I am so proud to have him as our president.

It has amazed me how people have not talked about the shootings here in Arizona. I have discussed it with just a handful of people, but for the most part, it has not been mentioned.

After September 11th, we all talked about the attack. We were brought together as a country and we united behind our leaders.

After the shooting in Tucson, few people are talking about the aftermath. We are still as divided as ever and there has been no unity, but only increased anger this week.

I work with nurses who care for dying patients every day. I watch people struggle with their impending death and how this affects their family and friends. I spend time with people on the very worst day of their lives. But what did we discuss in our last staff meeting? Scheduling and coffee carafes and water bottles.

Our president asked us to live up to our children's expectation this week, but I think that we are falling short. Why are we so angry at each other and what does that anger accomplish? I say this knowing that I am as guilty as the next person when it comes to this.

"I believe we can be better. Those who died here, those who saved lives here – they help me believe. We may not be able to stop all evil in the world, but I know that how we treat one another is entirely up to us. I believe that for all our imperfections, we are full of decency and goodness, and that the forces that divide us are not as strong as those that unite us." (Barack Obama, 1/12/11)

I can be better. We can be better.

Comments