Skip to main content

A whole new opportunity for failure.

Tuesday morning, Milo woke me up to sing happy birthday...  the crying and grunting version.  (It really doesn't sound much like happy birthday...)  I was, of course, very happy because it was my birthday and because Milo is the cutest.  Case in point:



The morning was great... until all of a sudden, it wasn't.  Milo went back to sleep at 5:30am and woke up again an hour and a half later and wouldn't be soothed.  He didn't want to eat much and the nice shirt that I had put on in honor of my birthday was soaked with breastmilk in about 5 minutes.  (The other side got soaked an hour later...)  I sat down and tried to nurse him and made the mistake of reading a book about parenting.

Holy moly.  I was already failing...  less than a month into this.  I have not mastered one handed diapering.  I have not started to read stories to Milo at bedtime as recommended by the American Academy of Pediatrics (starting at birth!).  (When is bedtime by the way??)  I do not constantly talk to Milo to always expand his vocabulary.  So many things that I am not doing.  Having burst into tears, I decided that it was time to go for a walk since Milo was still crying.  I retrieved my Moby wrap (I'm such a cute mom when I wear it!) and decided to try a new way to wrap it.

And then I couldn't master the new way to wrap it.  I tried to follow their instructions, but only have two hands instead of the requisite five evidently required for this technique,  I failed.  I am obviously a giant mothering failure.  I burst into [totally rational, not at all related to sleep deprivation] tears.

I eventually made it on that hike.  With the Ergo Baby carrier instead of the Moby wrap (thank god for so much baby crap that gives me options).  It was a beautiful day.  The dogs were very happy.  And that night, I celebrated my birthday with friends and family and a happy, quiet, well-fed baby.  For that evening, I was a mothering success.

Evidently, I will not be a perfect mother, a blow to my ego.  I suppose that I'll have to project all of my dreams of perfection onto my son then...

***

And since you've already probably skipped the text and are looking for pictures anyway...  here you go!


Mom makes up for my lack of bedtime stories.

He got to wear this outfit once.  It was tight.  He is a big baby.

This was pretty spectacular.  A 91 year old age difference here.

"I am contemplating a nap, but I think that I'll choose to skip it instead..."

And this...  this...  makes my heart so happy.

Comments

Unknown said…
Oh my goodness! I thought you hadn't been blogging because you were so busy, but actually Google + just stoppped telling me when you posted. I now get to binge-blog! I love the title of this one, and your perspective. There is no perfection in parenting, my dear overachieving friend.