Skip to main content

The home stretch

We are in the last leg of our journey. We have about three hours left until Bloomington and I think we’re ready. 

Milo woke up and announced that today was the day we got back to Indiana and randal announced that tiny house living was not for him. 

We are tired, but it’s been a good couple of days. Actually, it got a little hard a couple times, but it’s on the up and up.  As I mentioned, we had a few problems with the RV and we were getting slightly frustrated. This was exacerbated when we arrived at our site in Waubonsie Stare Park in southwestern Iowa the night before last and I proceeded to open all of the windows like I normally do. As I slid back the window in the bedroom, the glass shattered all over. (And the kids heard a simultaneous “oh sh$*” from Randal and me.)

I was bummed and worried about the cost and feeling frustrated and the kids were loud and I was just trying to watch the d#*% convention. And then the convention showed a story of a Mexican woman whose daughter was born with spina bifida and who carried her over her head as she crossed the Rio Grande to the United States so she could get better healthcare and how after living her whole life in this county, this woman is about to lose her healthcare and get deported and I thought... okay world. My RV problems miiiiiight be a little small. I hear you. 

And then I watched Obama and Kamala and got so pumped. 





Yesterday we crossed Missouri relatively unscathed until I gave Marian and apple and then we hit a bump and she choked. And I thought I got it as I gave her the Heimlich, but she spent the next two hours coughing and grunting and wheezing. And we set up camp and it didn’t get better and I spoke to my pediatrician and he suggested that we go to the hospital because it didn’t sound good and I tried one more firm Heimlich and out popped an apple piece and the coughing and wheezing and grunting immediately disappeared. 

Whew. 





So, we’re limping into the end of this trip. 

This morning, rather than rush the final push, we stopped at Cahokia Mounds State Park in St Louis. It was an ancient civilization- the largest in North America with 20,000 residents that dried up in 1400. It wasn’t until 1800 that there was a more populous place in the United States. 

It was very cool with plenty of space to run around and we spent a lovely couple of hours there. 









But, we are now on the road. Milo is napping and I wish Marian would too and I need to do some work to finish up this “work week.”  It was less than a week ago that we left Klamath and it seems far away. I miss it so much, but am ready to be home and see my parents and start school and volunteer for the Biden Harris campaign. 

And Marian? Well, she is biding her time and snacking on toe jam. 



To each their own. 

Comments

Glenn Gailis said…
Was CSD at your home when you got there because I called them about the risky things that you do to put your children in danger, like eating an apple and even worse while driving an RV across the country. ( With a broken window and a refrigerator that doesn’t work. Did the kids also get sick from the rotten food you fed them? ) They said they would probably give both the children to Ursula and me so you better tell grandma Kenda and grandpa Tom that they get no more grandkids either. By the way did the children also get hurt by the broken glass that you let them play in? Glenn. PS. Tell Milo that he can now have all the molasses cookies that he wants and we live fairly close to Annie too..... and we have cars to play with too
Glenn said…
I obviously was joking with you and I am thankful that you are safely home. Glenn