Skip to main content

Wide open spaces

It’s a slower trip home than anticipated due to two decisions. 1) Randal and I are both working from the road and have to take meetings. 2) we decided to stop a visit some unique places in middle America. They might lack the majesty of Yellowstone, but they’re still pretty darn cool. 

After staying In Winnemucca- the only town for miles, we continued east through the salt flats of Utah. I am always fascinated by the expanses of salt covering the earth and we all tried it. It tasted... salty. 









We stopped for the night just west of Wyoming in Coalville, Utah at an RV campsite. It was pretty enough and had a pool that Milo and I enjoyed. 





I woke up early this morning to a beautiful view and a meeting about opioids. And then, I had orientation for my PhD program. I nursed Marian while Milo leaned on me drinking his milk and watched the deans describe how the program was going to be. It was far and away the most unique orientation I have ever experienced. 



And then we were back on the road. We drove for a couple hours and stopped at Fort Bridger. It was a frequent stop on the Oregon and Mormon Trails. It was then an army fort that existed until 1890. We all enjoyed it and it was really the first time that Milo was interested in history. He asked lots of questions and noticed so many minute details that I would have missed. Marian ran around and banged a stick on things. So, we all enjoyed it. 









We didn’t make it far today and were ready to stop in the middle of nowhere. 

So, we are in the Great Continental Basin. The Continental Divide makes a circle around this area (so I don’t know which way the water goes) and there is nothing but oil or natural gas wells. We spent a long time examining the stars tonight and marveled at how we had never looked at the night sky where we could see the horizon all around us (like star lab!). It is remote and beautiful. 







The last picture is of the night sky (as taken with my iPhone). 

In this crazy world though, we were able to eat with absolutely no one around while also watching the democratic national convention. If you didn’t see Michelle Obama, you should. She is amazing. 

What a night. 

Comments