Skip to main content

Jacob Lake... in the Land of Plenty

J'ai vu un hibou dans la foret.

It's the sentence of the day. I have been informed that after a major in languages and two years living abroad, I mispronounce my "r's" in French. So, those of you that I ever tried to correct (er, Charles...), ignore me.

We are in Jacob Lake, 42 miles north of the Grand Canyon right now and we're staying in a perfect little inn. We ate some delicious mountain trout tonight and mingled with the unusual mix of tourists, hunters, locals and hikers. I think that the Martin's were the only French people, though I listened hard for other languages.

It's quite a change from the past couple of days and it's bizarre to think that two nights ago we were in New Orleans. All went well there and the plane ride was long, but went smoothly with very few transportation hiccups.

We arrived in Las Vegas late last night and in our new rented Malibu (just like my car, only better!), we drove down the Strip, marveling at "la folie" of the Americans. Really, you can't help but be impressed though and we even discussed going back to the Strip after reaching our hotel, but realizing how exhausted we were, we decided to make the trip in the morning.

So, this morning we toodled around the Strip, stopping in Venice, in Paris, in Rome and traversing the world in just a couple of hours. We had lunch at a Mexican restaurant in front of Trevi Fountain (who knew?) and marveled at... well... everything!

As soon as we left the city though, I think that we all took a deep breath and realized how glad we were to be a less populated area and I finally got to show the Martin's the country that I love. The weather was beautiful, the land is vast, the roads have a higher speed limit... It was a great drive. We saw the sunset as we were driving and reached our current location at dusk. The room is perfect and we all wait with anticipation for the next couple of days in the West.

I tried to put the photos in order, but didn't quite get it this time either. By the end of the trip, I'll have it, so be sure not to give up on me! Either way, you get the idea.

Happy Birthday to my brother tomorrow!

Comments