Skip to main content

Emotional rollercoaster

Well, I'm thirteen days into 2010 and I've already burst out laughing, burst into tears and eaten so much that I thought I would burst multiple times.

My good friend, Kristi, came to visit me here in Phoenix last week and it was a marvelous time. We had grand intentions about exploring great restaurants and buying good shoes and tasting wines (or something like that). Instead, we purchased four different kinds of cheese, drank several bottles of wine, and spent most of our time hiking around Phoenix and lazing in the hot tub (my first time). It was wonderful to giggle and share stories and be so comfortable with a friend from home. It was hard to say goodbye.

However, her visit made me realize what a fun place I'm in. Whether it was sitting on my balcony in 70 degree whether or only spending $5.58 for 6 grapefruits, 2 tangelos and a heaping bag of greens, I came to appreciate some of the perks of sunny Arizona.

On another note, I've been trying to brace myself for working on an oncology unit. I have got to toughen myself up (without losing my empathy). I started sniffling as soon as I left work on Monday after sending a patient to hospice. Hugging his family goodbye and relating it to a friend of mine with the same diagnosis was nearly too hard for me, but I managed to hold it together until I was on my way to the car at 7:30pm. Of course, today, after having my first employee review and bonding with some of my new coworkers, I thought about how lucky I was to work on this unit and at this point, I can't see myself anywhere else in the hospital.

And most of you know that I burst into tears and burst out laughing simultaneously sometimes and while these emotions may not always make me the easiest person to be around, it always keeps you guessing, doesn't it?

All things considered, 2010 has been rockin' so far!

Comments

Anonymous said…
The fact that you feel with your patients and want to simultaneously burst out laughing and burst into tears makes you a tremendous nurse. Your patients, coworkers, and Good Sam are very, very, very lucky to have you!

--julie