Skip to main content

The end of a decade.

I have been reflecting about the last ten of years of my life. They certainly have been eventful. 10 years ago, I was starting the final semester of high school in Muncie. Since then, I have lived in Ohio, Montpellier, Ohio again, Lyon, Colorado, Bloomington, Indianapolis and now Phoenix. That's a fair amount of boxes that I have packed and unpacked.

10 years ago, I was sure that I wanted to be a physician and knew that I would never be a nurse. If I had followed that career, I would only be in my second year of residency and wouldn't have been allowed to be a bum nearly as much as I have been. I would have oodles more student loans than the oodles that I already have. I am glad that I am not a physician.

5 years ago, I planned on living in France after college for several years. I couldn't exactly visualize what I would be doing, but I knew that it would be fantastic, fun and lucrative and I would be very chic. While that fantasy still appeals to me, I now know that it is not very realistic. After all, I will never be chic.

1 year ago, I planned on being a nurse somewhere cool and fun. At this point, I would have held a job for several months, would not be poor, and would have made a ton of friends who were cool and fun, just like my new locale.

Dec. 31st, 2009 is different than I had ever imagined it would be. I didn't imagine that my car would be covered with dog hair and I would allow a dog to lick my face (only on holidays, of course). I didn't imagine that I would be working on an oncology unit. And I certainly didn't imagine that I would be living in Scottsdale and working in Phoenix, Arizona. However, as all my experiences have shown me in the last decade, there is a reason for me to be here. And while it's not the most comfortable place to be right now, it will be someday. In fact, I am positive that 10 years from now, when I reflect on this decade, I will think of this time in Phoenix with fondness and nostalgia.

So, I will again put my best self on display tonight as I venture to New Year's parties downtown. It is bound to be the warmest New Year's Eve that I have ever had. And let's also hope that it's one of the most fun!


Happy 2010 from Odie and me!

Comments

Paul D said…
There was more than one lobster present at the birth of Christ?

Duh!

KJ, Enjoy your time in Phoenix. 3 years was enough for me. We just made the best of it as I'm sure you will. Have a happy, safe and fun 2010.
Anonymous said…
KJ the writer strikes again! Nicely done. :)

--julie
Talia said…
Awwwwww! Reading this post reminds me of the massive amounts of missing that is coming from me to you. :-(

Your apt really is impressive & I can't wait to see it sometime.

When I took mom to chemo the other day I looked around and smiled thinking that someone else's mom gets to have you as a nurse. Lucky them!!!

Miss ya. Love ya. And all that other gushy stuff you know I'm so comfortable saying. ;-)