Skip to main content

Barefoot in the Park

Italy remains idyllic for us and it seems as though the Trentino-Alto-Adige region is posing for a tourist's brochure.

We continue to take walks around Vigolo Vattaro and visit the playgrounds with Daniel. I made some new friends yesterday and have decided to meet enough people in this small town as to always recognize one when I leave the apartment. Charles said that that should take about three days.

On Friday, Charles, Mom, Daniel and I went to il Giardino Sigurta near Lago di Garda. We missed Tulip Mania by a week, but no one told the tulips and the day was perfect. Beautiful tulips blooming all around amidst perfectly groomed grass that we were allowed to walk on. We visited the Didactic Zoo (the petting zoo), but Daniel really wanted to throw rocks in the water as opposed to touch any animals. We played in some ponds, enjoyed a picnic and ran barefoot in the grass (a new thing for Danielino, but he quickly became a fan... Good barefoot Hoosier genes!). It was a perfect day and Daniel wore us all out!

Yesterday we visited Elisabetta's parents in Trento without the children and Elisabetta. Charles was an excellent interpreter, not exactly translating everything for us (like the description of the Brazilian emporer or something like that). The conversation was entertaining though and we enjoyed seeing them. The three Jochim's continued on into Trento, visiting a chocolate store that we all remembered and whetting our appetite for Italian shopping. And at last... we went to La Cantinota for dinner. It is my favorite restaurant in Trento and the last time that I did not go, I threw a rather bratty fit about it. (Embarassing, but true...) It didn't disappoint... As my polenta with cheese and truffles came out, I felt my eyes well up with joy. My food literally brought me to tears it was so delicious. The risotto al teroldego (a local Trentino dish) was amazing as well. Our waiter was charming and as you can tell from the picture of the three of us, we were extremely happy!

Today has been a nap-ish sort of day and I think that I might go enjoy another mountain stroll. Charles and Elisabetta continue to be superb hosts and Josephine and Daniel are adorable as ever. Mom, of course, is a wonderful travel partner.

And my favorite Italian word that I've learned so far? PETOTO!







(Petoto means toot!)

Comments

Finklestien said…
PETOTO how is that used? As in toots ones horn, or drinking heavily, a conical container such as an ice cream cone, a worthless person or is there another use for the word?
On another note, great pictures.