Skip to main content

The College of Cacti

I mentioned earlier that I had planned on studying cactus around the area.

My education took a giant leap forward this weekend. I visited my great aunt and uncle who live in Green Valley, a town just south of Tucson (interesting because you have to be older than 55 to reside there). They were the perfect hosts and also believed that my cactus education was necessary. Especially after a hike with Odie in which we had to pull several different types of cholla (pronounced choya) from his paw. Odie loves a thorough education.

So, they took me to the Desert Museum in Tucson. I saw gems, javalinas, the raptor show, mountain lions, sea otters and many, many types of cactus. I am not an expert, but I can answer questions about chollas, pricky-pears, hedgehog cactus and my favorite, the seguaro cactus.

What's that? You wanted some trivia for the day? A seguaro cactus lives for over 200 years, but it's really impossible to tell how old they are. At fifteen years, they're only about a foot high, but after that, they grow about three inches a year. And they weigh tons!

Here's my little cactus garden that came home with me to remind me to keep studying my Arizona flora!

Comments

Malealyn said…
So what kinds of cacti do you have in your small garden? I expect after your extensive education you would have labeled these for your dedicated readers.