Skip to main content

Odie, I don't think we're in Indiana anymore.

Today Odie and I enjoyed our first hike. He was quite happy to be off the leash for once and we learned a couple of lessons together. Namely: unless we find a rock in the shape of a bowl (of which we did find one, but only one), I need to pack a dog dish for water for him. In addition, Odie learned not to investigate the bottom of a cactus bush. He escaped from one pretty pathetically with about 20 cactus needles in his paws.

I have also surmised that I might be in a different climate here in Arizona. Evidently, the images of the cactus are pretty darn true and it was impressive to see them towering above me today. So, my new mission is to name these cacti. First off, our most famous and most impressive today: the Saguaro cactus.


And the meanest cactus of the day, I believe, goes to the Buckhorn Cholla. Of which, I have no photos, but did spend 10 minutes in close inspection of the needles (as I pulled them out of Odie).

Comments

Malealyn said…
Ooooo forget the dog bowl - just train him to drink from your water bottle. (No - his mouth doesn't touch the bottle lip) I have friends that have trained their dog to drink from their water bottle. As they pour it out into his mouth, he simply laps it up. Everyone remains standing and no need to cart a carrier! This isn't a terribly great description - but very effective. Plus it was a great trick they could pull out and impress people with.