Skip to main content

What have I become?

It all started with a mouse.

I had a mouse in my apartment and said jokingly, "I should get a cat." And Art Boy responded, "You should get a dog."

And so I did. And he was great. Soon, I realized that he liked rawhide, so I bought him some rawhide. He was also so much happier in a dog bed we found after a visit to my parents' and an encounter with their dog bed, that we got him his very own dog bed. He also got an indestructible frisbee among other chew toys. I now had dog hair all over my car and my carpet and the dog was taking trips with me. I made my friends and family pet him and tell me how wonderful he was.

It got worse when I knew that I had to move. He would be my only companion, so I had to get him safely to my new locale. Thus, my only option was to buy him a car harness and get sedatives so he could ride out to Phoenix comfortably.

And now, as I unpack his chew toys, his dog dishes, his toothbrush, and his shampoo, I wonder at myself, but am able to justify all of these things.

However, when I pull out the application papers for the PetsHotel Doggy Day Care and start to fill them out, I can't help but ask, "What have I become?"

Comments